The School Governors delegate the daily management of the school to the Head Teacher, but they are ultimately responsible for the effective and efficient running of the school.
They meet regularly and are involved in decisions about the curriculum, the budget, the recruitment and selection of staff, the maintenance and improvement of the premises and also discipline.
The Governing Board has three main responsibilities
- To ensure there is clarity of vision and strategic direction for the school
- Holding the Head Teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils and the performance management of the staff: and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school making sure its money is well spent
In September 2015, all Governing Boards were reconstituted under the revised regulations published in 2012. The revised regulations allow for more flexibility in the way Governing Bodies are made up, providing a more skills based approach to the appointment of school Governors as well as promoting smaller and more active Governing Boards.
We worked in partnership with the Local Authority, Gloucester Diocese and the Lady Downe Charity who are Trustees to the school to ensure the reconstitution ran smoothly without impacting on the work undertaken by members of the Governing Board. As of 1st March 2015 the number of Parent, Local Authority and Staff Governors will reduce in line with the 2012 regulations.
- Local Authority Governors are nominated by the local Authority but appointed by the Governing Board.
- Co-Opted Governors are appointed by the Governing Board, their term of office is 3 years.
- Parent Governors are elected by other parents at the school.
- Foundation Governors are appointed by Gloucester Diocesan Board of Education after consultation with the Upton St Leonards Parochial Church Council.
- The Head Teacher is a member of the Governing Board by virtue of their office.
- Staff Governors are elected by the school staff.
- Associate Members are appointed by the Governing Board, they are NOT Governors and therefore do not have a vote in governing body decisions, but may be given a vote on decisions made by committees to which they are appointed.
Full Governing Body meetings are held at least once a term. (Full Governing Body attendance record). The approved minutes are held in the school office and available for anyone who wishes to read them. We also have a Pay & Personnel Committee (Pay & Personnel attendance record), a Finance & Resources Commitee (Finance & Resources Committee attendance record) and Curriculum Commitee (Curriculum meeting attendance record) who report to the Full Governing Body.
The Governing Body (reconstituted as of 1st March 2015) is as follows: